Olynthus, the capital Chalcis, who from the last decades of the 5th century. B.C. and its destruction by Philip in 348 BC, was the most important economic and military center. Near the coast of the Gulf of Toroni in Halkidiki, on two hills, lie the ruins of a major ancient city. According to Herodotus, the city founded by the Bottiaia, originally lived in Pieria, but drove them from there the Macedonians in the 7th century. B.C. and they fled in Halkidiki. However Bottiaia not seem to have been the first inhabitants of Olynthus, since the excavations revealed the southern hill of the ancient city remains of a settlement of the 3rd millennium BC
In particular from 1928 to 1938 and for four seasons, the American professor D. M. Robinson revealed beneath the rubble caused by the soldiers of Philip much of ancient Olynthus. This is the first large, systematic excavations throughout the continental northern Greece. Excavations us they knew that the city was brilliantly designed with wide streets and had excellent water supply and sewerage system. In the northern hill large horizontal and vertical paths defined blocks measuring approximately 86CH36 m., In each of which had 10 houses. The houses, almost square, with sides of about 17 m., Was well built, in part brought them and second floor, and some had mosaics with pictorial representations of the oldest known of the ancient Greek world.
In the archaeological site of ancient Olynthus operating since 1998 Archaeological Museum. The purpose of the museum is to give a complete picture to visitors about the history of the ancient city and also describe the excavations and restoration, audiovisual